Peanut Butter Granola – Doesn’t this sound and look amazing?!
To all peanut butter lovers – this peanut butter granola tastes AMAZING! I love the smell that lingered around the flat the whole day! Simply divine!
We had it with Greek yoghurt and frozen raspberries for breakfast today and everyone approved! Granola and yoghurt makes such a yummy addition to kids lunchboxes.
This recipe was inspired by the lovely Sara at @justmadforasentence on Instagram. Go and check out her recipe.
I’ve adapted from her recipe, I’ve used store bought sliced almond and coconut chips to give it a more crispier texture, chopped up the pecan and cashew nuts to make it easier to chew for my kids and lastly, added chia seeds for the extra kick in protein, fibre and omega-3.
Did you know that peanuts are not nuts at all, but legumes. It is rich in protein and potassium. All and all peanut butter offers a nutrient-rich addition to your snacks, meals and desserts. Make sure you buy the ones with pure peanut butter and sometimes added sea salt and nothing else!
Health Facts about Peanut!
A serving of peanut butter is 2 tbsp which contains about 7 g of protein and contributes to healthy muscles, skin, hair and teeth. Protein also plays a role in hormonal function and keeps blood healthy.
Peanuts are a good source of heart-healthy fats; peanut butter has some of these benefits. The unsaturated fats found in nuts can lower your cholesterol and reduce your risk of developing heart disease. They can also offer health benefits for your brain and skin, and give you an energy boost.
Excess sodium in your diet puts stress on your cardiovascular system, but potassium can counter the negative effects of sodium. It also helps your nerves function properly and aids in heart function.
- 2 cups of gluten free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut chips (can sub with dessicated coconut flakes)
- 1/2 cup sliced almond (can sub with chopped almond)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecan
- 1/2 cup chopped cashew
- 1/4 cup chia seed
- 4 tbsp or 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 4 tbsp or 1/4 cup unsweetened peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp pink salt
- 5 tbsp or 1/3 cup agave syrup (or sweeter of choice)
- Preheat the oven to 150°C or 300°F and line a parchment paper on a baking tray.
- Melt coconut oil with peanut butter and add salt.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl then add the coconut oil mixture and give it a good mix.
- Spread it out evenly on the baking and bake for 30 minutes or until golden, stir every 10 mins. Let it cool before storing away in an airtight container or mason jar(s).
Kat xx .