Did you know that chia seeds are great to make jam? So instead of using loads of sugar like in the traditional way you can just used a few table spoons of chia seeds. Once they are soaked in any kind of liquid, the seeds will expand and thicken the liquid which makes them a perfect ingredient to make jams.
However, unlike the traditional jam this one is best to consume withing a week. I would recommend to do half of my recipe to try out first to see whether you like it or not.
I have used raspberry as that’s my favourite berry and I eat it more than my son. 😄
If you want to make it for your kids then I would go for blueberry or strawberry or something that is less seedy.
I can just eat it like that on its own. It tastes like a dessert to me! 😂 The first time I made it turned out a bit on the sour side but still delicious for me but my todlder son spitted it out and was very upset and started crying for jam. He meant his grandma’s homemade jam. Hahaha!
After a few tries I’ve finally got the measurements right! Yeah! 😄💪
It’s very simple to make and you only need 4 ingredients!
It’s so quick to make and you can enjoy it the next day with bread, toast, pancakes, smoothie, ice cream, really with anything you want because it tastes so delicious!
Toddler J approved but I know he still prefers his grandma’s jam because it’s sweeter. 😝
2 cups raspberries (I used frozen. Thaw before cooking) or other berries
3 tbsp chia seeds
3 tbsp maple syrup (add more for a sweeter taste)
1 vanilla pod – split the middle and take the inside out (or 1/2 tsp vanilla essence / powder)
1. If you are using frozen raspberries like me, then wait until they are fully thawed. Add them to a pot and heat up until you start seeing little bubbles then turn down the heat. If you like your jam chunky (like me) then don’t mash the raspberrie, if not then mash them with a spoon.
2. Set aside and let it cool down completely. Then add chia seeds, maple syrup and vanilla. Give it a good mix. Stir again after a few minutes to separate the chia and vanilla otherwise you may get little chunks.
3. Pour the jam into a food jar / plastic container and close tightly with the lid.
4. Enjoy it the next day with bread, pancakes, smoothie, Ice cream really with anything you want because it tastes so good! 😋
5. Consume within a week. It didn’t last this long in our household! 😄