Vegan Red Velvet Pancakes or Crepes whichever one you prefer to call them. These yummy pancakes/crepes are a BOMB! They are not only vegan but #wheatfree and #glutenfree!
Suitatble for babies from 6-8 months old.
Guidelines vary quite significantly different around the world when it comes to the introduction of beetroot! Some countries are given from 6m of age and others suggesting 8m. This is due to the fact that beetroots are higher in natural nitrates than other vegetables. I personally waited until my boys were 8 months old.
When selecting beets for homemade baby food, try to purchase fresh beetroots whenever possible. The smaller sized beetroots are more tender and tastier than the large ones, bigger is not better.
Beetroots contain a great amount of calcium, potassium and vitamin A. Both Vitamin A and Calcium play a large role in the healthy development of your baby.
You could either make them thinner if you prefer a crepe style or make them thicker and turn them into pancakes. I did both and we all truly enojed these!
- 1 cup / 150gr rice flour
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (I used the thick part floating of the can of coconut milk)
- 1/2 cup beetroot pure
- 1/2 tsp himalayian salt (optional and omit for babies under 12m)
- 1 cup / 250 ml coconut milk
- Combine rice flour, coconut cream, beetroot puree, and salt in a bowl with coconut milk. Stir until a smooth batter forms. Cover and set aside to rest for 30 mins.
- Heat up a non-stick medium-size frying pan over medium-high heat until it’s hot. Brush over with vegetable oil then add 1-2 table spoons of batter for mini pancakes or 1/4 cup batter for think crepes (swirl pan to form a thin crepe).
- Served with savoury fillings and a dollop of whipped coconut.